Sunday, August 27, 2006

Business News

with Ramsgate retailer Ronnie Corbett

Thank you, thank you. Now when the Editor asked me to, you know, write something for this, for this newspaper, I remember it well, because we were having a drink at the time. And that's a very unusual thing. You know, for him to buy me, or indeed anyone, a drink. So I remember it quite vividly. "Ron," he said, "Ron," he always calls me Ron. Well, no, it's an interesting theory of his. He reckons that 'Ronnie' is too big a name for such a small person. No, he does. The fact that he's only 4 foot 2 and likes to be known by his friends as Aloysius doesn't seem to strike him as at all, you know, hypocritical. Anyway, anyway, to get back to the story. "Ron," he said, "Ron, I'm launching this newspaper, and, you know, I'd like to give the little guys a chance to contribute. You're quite little, and you've got a tiny kiosk on the East Cliff, I think you'd be the ideal person to write our business column." He's a bit of a charmer, you see, and, no, no actually, actually I was quite touched. And I had had several G and Ts at the time. So, no, no, to get back to the story, this man walks into a shop...

No comments: